Sunday, June 16, 2013

The last 3 days!

I just want to start this post with the 3 things I will never, ever adjust to in Greece:

1. Not being able to flush toilet paper.
2. Only having a free hand shower wand, not a solid shower head.
3. GRECIAN DRIVERS! Holy moly, you better look both ways.
(On Thursday, I saw my first car accident on the island between a car and a motor bike. Fortunately, the bike rider had a helmet on, the first I've seen since I've been here. He wiped sideways and flew into a car. Luckily, everyone was okay, but I am so surprised it is the first accident I've seen. THEY DRIVE INSANELY!)


I apologize for being so behind on the last few days! My wifi has been a bit spotty and a couple of the days weren't big excursion days so there isn't much to say about them.




On Thursday the 13th, I slept in and had both of my classes. In photography, we went to an old lighthouse and worked on capturing odd story lines and natural settings. Something I will not ever get used to is how crazy people drive here! The roads are so narrow and they whip around like they are the only ones on the road. Driving to the lighthouse, honestly saw my life flash before my eyes. The locals are just so accustomed to driving like that though so it doesn't bother them. The good ol' American "pedestrians have the right of way" rule is definitely not practiced in Greece.

Just a couple of my raw images from the 1200 I took. Project El-Delete-O is not going to be fun.







Later that night we had light snacks and listened to some live music with a couple of our professors and eventually adventured out for the night. 

Friday was our free day which felt great. It was the first time in almost 2 weeks we didn't have to go to class or have a jam packed day planned full of excursions. A couple of the other girls and I went to the beach for a couple hours and I even got a good nap in while laying out. Haha. We ate some dinner and got to do some shopping after too. I think I'm pretty much done with souvenirs for people, thank goodness! I even had some leather sandals handmade. This guy is awesome.



Friday night was more of a chill night and I even got to talk with some locals. Found my daily Grecian kitty to pose with of course.



On Saturday, we had an excursion to Antiparos Island, which was only a 5 minute boat ride away from Paros Island, where I currently am. I was very happy considering our other boat rides have been anywhere from 45 mins to 5 hours long. When we arrived, we explored the main town area for a little bit. In the heart of the main town area is the old Venetian Castle (kastro) of Antiparos. Once you get so far into town between buildings and residential areas, the only way to return out is to go back the way you came. Most passageways are a "one way" because back in the day the goal was to confuse pirates trying to come near the castle. 



Doggies everywhere!


After exploring for a little bit, we hopped on a charter bus and headed up to the famous cave of Antiparos. It's 300 feet down to the bottom. Lots and lots of stairs... but totally worth it!








Next we headed out to have lunch on the water and then boarded on a smaller boat to take us out to some of the sea caves! The boat entered through a natural arch of rock and anchored in one of the sea caves so we could jump off and swim around. The water in the Aegean is so crystal clear, I can't get over it. It's gorgeous. We had so much fun.












Afterwards, we relaxed on the beach, had some drinks and then headed back to Paros. 


That night we headed to our visiting professor, Resa's, hostel. Almost all 34 of us went. Eventually we got a little too loud and had to head out for the night else where on the island, but we still had time to each go around and say a little somethin' we felt about this experience - bonding time at its finest.




Today, Sunday, I didn't have class until 5 and was pretty much a bum all day. Going out for the last 5 nights in a row has kicked my butt and it was definitely time for me to slow it down. I cleaned up my apartment a bit and packed for our trip tomorrow leaving for Santorini!! Today was one of the more laid back days in class and I didn't even open my camera bag. We started using photoshop and even got out of class early. 

As I said, tomorrow morning we board the boat to head to Santorini for 3 days! I'm incredibly excited!

Seeing that today is Sunday, I just want to give a shout out to my lovely daddayyy for being the best there is. He does everything on the planet for me and I'm so thankful. Can't wait to see you when I get back! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!



And lastly, I must say, I am completely honored to be on this trip with so many different and incredible people from all over the world. People from all over the U.S., Canada, India, and even South Africa. Anyone reading this that knows me, understands that I don't have the best patience level and get annoyed pretty easily by people if they tend to "rub me wrong" or aggravate me. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed meeting every single person I am sharing this experience with. We've become a little family almost and have truly embraced this once in a lifetime experience together. I'm not sure what I expected coming into this, but I never expected to learn so much from the other students here. The life stories they've shared with me, in and out of the classroom, out on a boat in the middle of the Aegean, or jumping off a cliff, wherever the place, have showed me so many new perspectives on life all the while making each and everyday better and more fun than the last. I'm so thankful to be on this journey with them and can't wait to see what the next 2 weeks have in store for us.



The days are flying by, but I miss my family and friends so much. After being 5,000 miles away, never again will I complain about the 2 1/2 hour distance between Alan and I at home. Miss you guys. xox.


No comments:

Post a Comment